Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Kitchen Command Center ~ Finally!

I started drafting up plans for my little Kitchen Command Center a few month ago ... and FINALLY ... I've finished! As I've said before, the hardest part about living in Europe and having a DIY addiction is actually finding the materials. This is one of those projects where I spent weeks trying to find the right materials and waiting for them to arrive. When all of my supplies came in ... I swear, the skies parted and a little beam of light glistened through my kitchen window ... I may have heard angels singing (or it could have been my iPod).

So here it is ....

Kitchen Command Center

Do you see the little ray of light shining into my kitchen? Yes, this was a happy day!

Our Kitchen Command Center features a Meal Planning Board, Dry Erase Note Board, Magnet Boards and Chore Charts ... it has everything we need to plan out our week.

The Meal Planning Board was originally inspired by Charity over at All Things Beautiful. I'll be sharing a tutorial for my Meal Planning Board later this week over at OH SO Chichi, so please stop over.

I divided our meals into 3 categories; "favorites", "fast", and "new"

I embellished good 'ole clothespins to display our meals for the week (Sun - Sat). I've shared a tutorial on how to make your own "Not Your Average Clothespins" here.

The fabric makes me smile ... and crave sweets.

A simple-to-make DIY Dry Erase Note Board for important reminders, "to-do" lists, and loving notes to the hubby and kiddo! The tutorial for this is also coming later this week over at OH SO Chichi, but you can get a pretty good idea from one of my previous projects here.

My personal favorite ... the Magnet Boards and Chore Charts! I purchased these beauties on Etsy from a wonderful shop, Abbie's House. Now I know every DIY'er has that urge to make everything themselves, but I believe in supporting others in their artistry too. I {heart} handmade! When I saw these Chore Charts at Abbie's House, there was no hesitation ... they were clean, simple, and beautifully made. She was also so kind as to create two, custom "blank" Magnet Boards to coordinate with the Chore Charts I ordered. She's great ... go check her out!

I love them so much that ... you see the top Chore Chart titled "Jaime & Al" ... that's my Chore Chart (ok, so I share with the hubby ... but we know the truth)! So much cuter than scribbling out my chores on a piece of paper ... you're NEVER too old for a Chore Chart! :o)

Abbie's House has a cute selection of "chore magnet" bundles. This Magnet Board keeps all of our "extra" chores that don't have a home under the "to do" or "done" list for the day.

The 2nd Magnet Board is for general use. I clip up mail that needs to be taken to the post, permission slips, etc. I made large, 1 1/8" cover-button magnets in coordinating fabrics to match the Meal Planning Board and Dry Erase Board. You can find my Cover Button Tutorial here.

... and one last look at the Kitchen Command Center. It makes me smile every day!

Find out how I hung everything, here!

41 comments:

  1. Fantastic Jaime!!! I know you'll LOVE using it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that'd make me smile, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is fantastic. So cute. I'm a new follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so impressive and pretty, Jamie! You must have spent a lot of time building it up, but it's so worth it. I'm loving it! I am now following you thanks to Wednesday Blog Hop and it would be so nice if you could share the love back on my blog:)
    And don't forget to check our new Blog Tutorial going on today, to learn a few very easy tricks to make your blog simply fabulous and have more fun with it. See you there!
    Happy St. Patrick's Day

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, great concept and beautifully executed! and I think I love the to do/dones best myself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE this... love it love it love it! Both the menu board and the chore charts are brilliant! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is adorable! I especially love the chore portion of the chart--your little chore magnets are lovely.

    ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  8. Saw this on Pinterest... I am in LOVE with those chore magnets!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. such a fabulous command center! you've inspired me to make my own :D hehe

    ReplyDelete
  10. AnonymousJune 24, 2011

    OOOOOHHHH I love this!!! Beautiful!! Also have come from Pinterest - but will be a follower now - what an awesome blog! Meegan.

    ReplyDelete
  11. AnonymousJuly 13, 2011

    I am wondering how you have this hung on the cupboard, we have the same type of space...
    thanks,
    T
    spicesforu@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this! great idea! pinned it to pinterest! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. AnonymousJuly 27, 2011

    That's awesome! :-)

    I want to know how it's hung, also... I have a perfect place for it, but would really hate to actually have to put holes in the cabinets to hang it there...

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a wonderful "command center" and I just wanted to let you know that I featured it in my post for today with a link back to your site. Here is the post ~ http://www.sasinteriors.net/2011/08/creating-a-central-command-center/

    Great idea and I'm your newest follower!

    Jenna, SAS Interiors

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ditto to all of the above-- and yes, HOW DID YOU HANG IT??? :)
    Thanks for sharing your creativity!
    You are blessed.

    Laura K.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Laura K,

    Yes, I get that question often and I've been answering it personally by email ... I think I probably need to update my post and share my secret! :o) I'll try to get that done for you all tomorrow.

    Thanks so much for the lovely comment.

    Jaime

    ReplyDelete
  17. So glad to have found this on pinterest!!! I have been looking for something like this for several months. Will be ordering for our family soon!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is great! And I've been looking for chore charts to use with my magnets that have the chore and the amount of allowance on them. I would also like to know how to hang the chore charts without leaving holes!? If you could please email me at eahudy@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great idea! Also I love the layout of your blog and was wondering how you did it. Can you give me simple directions? My blog is http://improvisedcreativity.blogspot.com/ Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is fantastic! I've been developing something similar for people on specific diets. These are fantastically cute and fun!!

    ~ Tiffany

    Transfer of Health
    Healthy Living and Recipes

    ReplyDelete
  21. You've done a beautiful job with your command center and I've got it linked to my command centers post too today, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I saw a chore chart like that a LONG TIME AGO and have been looking for something similar sense. It just makes sense to see the chores and then move them over when they are done! Thank you so much for debuting your command center. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Funny - we designed and built our home 2.5 years ago and we put in an actual "command center" for our house. It's sort of a passageway between my laundry room and my kitchen. We keep the family calendar there as well as all *office* supplies, printer, file cabinet, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is great! I LOVE the menu part of it especially. Thank you for sharing!
    http://ohigotthis.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  25. Awesome Command Center! I am SO doing this for my family. Thanks!
    Also...I want to nominate you for the “Very Inspiring Blogger Award.” :) If you accept, it is an honor you must pass along to seven others. You must also thank and link back to the one who nominated you, and post seven things about yourself on your blog. Congratulations! (It gets you a lot of link-backs, and helps your readers find other interesting blogs.)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Jaime! I love this so much!! I finally got around to attempting to make one myself! I Blogged about it and mentioned you. I hope that's ok. Thank you sooo much for the inspiration! My home is running so much smoother thanks to my Kitchen Command Center! April http://southernlakeeriemom.wordpress.com/2012/04/18/my-kitchen-command-center/

    ReplyDelete
  27. Where do we go to see how you hung these?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Seriously your command center makes ME happy. I'll be coveting yours til I get mine created. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Can u come to my house?

    ReplyDelete
  30. Can u please come to my house

    ReplyDelete
  31. I shared this on my blog! http://papercutzmidland.blogspot.com/2012/07/chore-charts.html

    ReplyDelete
  32. How did you hang your chore charts??? I bought some for my kids and just tried to hang them and it pulled the command hook off the wall. I would love to know how you did it!! Thanks BTW- your command wall looks awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Nevermind- I found your other post about the hanging strips

    ReplyDelete
  34. This is fabulous. I'd love to feature this idea and your blog on my "Total Home Makeover" USA Book tour. Learn more and let me know at:

    http://renee-joyjourney.com/2012/09/get-featured-on-total-home-makeover-usa.html

    Warmly, Renee
    http://totalhomemakeover.com
    http://renee-joyjourney.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. May I feature this idea on my "Total Home Makeover" USA Book Tour?

    Let me know: http://renee-joyjourney.com/2012/09/get-featured-on-total-home-makeover-usa.html

    Warmly, Renee
    http://renee-joyjourney.com
    http://totalhomemakeover.com

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi Jamie,

    I featured you at: http://renee-joyjourney.com/2012/10/win-total-home-makeover-usa-book-tour.html

    You are welcome to post the give-away on your blog. Just email me at nrmetzler@windstream.net.

    Thanks for this great tip!

    Renee

    ReplyDelete
  37. thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
  38. Your stuff is super cute, thank you for sharing! Love your blog! I m your newest follower :)

    Sarah from Magnificent Mama and Teacher on a Budget

    ReplyDelete
  39. I love this menu and chore center so much!!! I've added it to my inspiration files for when I re-do my command center!! Here's a link for you!!

    http://uniquelyundone.blogspot.com/2013/03/inspiration-abounds-kitchen-part-two.html

    Thanks so much for the inspiration!!

    Kate @ Uniquely Undone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate! I love the other inspirational pieces you linked as well! I can't wait to see your command center re-do.

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails